Secondary in the Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Can I leave my secondary in my garage. The temperatures flucuate a bit, probably between 50 to 65 degrees on any given 24 hour period. Maybe a little more, not real sure.

I normaly leave it in my upstairs closet, but this would be easier.

Thanks

If it has finished fermenting it will be fine, just expect lots of stuff to fall out of suspension if it gets to the lower range and you may have to pitch some dry yeast in order to bottle carb if that is the case.

so secondary temps don't really matter that much ? (especially if kegging?)

not so much as primary as long as fermentation is complete.I still wouldn't like to have huge swings in temps . I have a batch in my garage right now I didn't secondary I am just crash cooling as its been high 20's every night this week and my garage stays about 35 this time of the year. Plan to rack it to the keg this weekend.

not so much as primary as long as fermentation is complete.I still wouldn't like to have huge swings in temps . I have a batch in my garage right now I didn't secondary I am just crash cooling as its been high 20's every night this week and my garage stays about 35 this time of the year. Plan to rack it to the keg this weekend.

wow and i thought it was cold where I am...

wow and i thought it was cold where I am...

Been real nasty here the last week. We had snow a few days ago and the temps are now just getting back to normal. Today high of 48* with last nights low of 25*. Friday back into the 50's but cools off real fast at night to the 30's.

My garage is detached and my heat is from a wast oil heater when I work in there. The temps don't recover during the day once everything is cold.

Been real nasty here the last week. We had snow a few days ago and the temps are now just getting back to normal. Today high of 48* with last nights low of 25*. Friday back into the 50's but cools off real fast at night to the 30's.

My garage is detached and my heat is from a wast oil heater when I work in there. The temps don't recover during the day once everything is cold.

yeah brewing in the fall/winter becomes much tougher of a hobby for sure!

I brew 1/2 the time @ my GF's house.I have been brewing outside on the grill and using her garden hose up untill now...... but its about to start freezing outside and I will be forced to retreat inside.....man what a PITA it is to cleanup inside.

yeah brewing in the fall/winter becomes much tougher of a hobby for sure!

I brew 1/2 the time @ my GF's house.I have been brewing outside on the grill and using her garden hose up untill now...... but its about to start freezing outside and I will be forced to retreat inside.....man what a PITA it is to cleanup inside.

wuss... :) I still do mine outside in winter the water comes from the Hudson and by January its like ice water cools the wort down real quick . I just have to remember to take the hose inside after the brew. I had one freeze up last year hard trying to get 50 ft to thaw out specially when its frozen in a straight line.

hahaha yeah that sucks. I dono if my GF would let me bring her hose inside, as its normally stored in an unheated shed. and they have no bulkhead to the basement :rolleyes:

gonna have to figure this one out...

Back