Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
How many people do secondary fermenting? Is it worth it? I guess I am to anxious to bottle my beer so I can drink it. :D

It really depends on the style of beer. Pretty much the only beer that I have NOT been doing a secondary on is a Hefe. All others I would definately do. Just be carefull not to oxygenate or contaminate. Your beers will also be much clearer:mug:

You could use either. A 5 gallon carboy has less headspace, so maybe for a long term secondary it would be preferable. But when you rack into secondary, some co2 will be outgassing and a blanket of co2 should protect the beer even in a larger carboy. I like the five gallon, but I know there are others who use a 6.5 gallon.

yeah... this seems to be a popular debate. secondary gives more versitility. i think, generally, with higher alcohol and/or higher hopped beers you may get a more well rounded flavor in secondary. i have to say for my belgian ales secondary has made all the difference. Also, if you have beer that tends to have a delicate palate secondary may be the best way to get rid of unnecessary yeast for clarity and better flavor. Ofcourse, it all depends on what you like.

I picked up a 5 gallon carboy. The guy said a 5 gallon would be better. When I racked it, there is some space between the beer and the neck, about where the bottle starts to form the neck. That air will not oxidize the beer will it?

In general, a small headspace is best. But, the amount of headspace you're talking about is not a problem. The beer has a co2 blanket over it to protect it from oxidating. It will be fine.

I used to do a secondary, but I'm starting to skip that stage now. The last batch I did, you wouldn't be able to tell, so I'm thinking it's not necessary. But again, it depends on the style--I make predominately IPA. My beer is clear enough for me and anyone who drinks it, as I'm very careful during racking. As far as conditioning goes, you could always allocate the extra time for your beer in the bottles (i.e. after bottling, wait 5 weeks before drinking).

The one time I skipped a secondary, it didn't speed me up on the 1-2-3 schedule. It was 5 weeks before my beer tasted good anyway.

Back