secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darby0626

Reaction score
I've read lots of stuff about this. I just want some personal opinions on if using a secondary fermenter is necessary or if leaving it in just one the whole time is fine.

Depends.

It depends on what you are brewing and how long you are going to leave it. It also depends on whether you are making additions or not.

If I brewed a really big beer, something over an OG of 1.100, I might want to age it for a long time and then a secondary might be good for it. If I was going to age a beer on oak I'd want it off the yeast so the oak flavor wouldn't be absorbed by the yeast. I've found that leaving a beer in the primary and adding fruit isn't the greatest idea either.

RM-MN is on target with this. I would only use a secondary for a very high gravity beer that requires lengthy aging, at times when dry hopping for long periods, or when adding fruit or other adjuncts.

In general, I believe that you always want to rack the beer to a secondary to get the beer off of settled yeast and other undesirable that carry over. Even for a short period of time to allow for a bit more maturation, which is almost always a goo thing.

Most of my beers are primary only. I do make exceptions when dry hopping and also when I use US-05 yeast. I find that US-05 doesn't like to drop out and often even the krausen floats for a long time. After racking you can almost watch the beer clear.

Bob

Back