Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XpeedeeX

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer the other day and didn't notice until I pitched the yeast and put the airlock in that I only had about 3.75 gallons instead of 5. I didn't want to mess with it after I had put the airlock in so it is fermenting in the primary fermenter. All I have is are 6 gallon fermenters, so when I add the beer to a secondary fermenter, will the excess head space cause the beer to oxygenate? (if thats what it is called)

Probably not. CO2 is heavier than "air", so fermentation will push the air out of the airlock before any CO2, so you can be pretty sure that the headspace is filled with almost pure CO2 after a few days.

It sound like you did a partial boil and where supposed to dilute it with water, so what's your starting gravity? At a guess, it's huge. Did you make a yeast starter or just pitch a test tube / package? Make sure you give this batch a looon time to complete fermentation. I wouldn't even take a gravity reading until at least 14 days. It'll probably still be high at that point.

If the batch is supposed to be 5 gal, and you're way over your OG, why not just add water now?

I wouldnt transfer to a secondary fermentor at all. Head space is an issue with secondary fermentors because you are moving the beer to a new carboy with oxygen in it and you probibly wont have enough yeast activity for it to purge all of that head space after primary fermentation.

Also, Secondary fermentors are not really required unless you are shooting for super clear beer or you have to store the beer somewhere for more that 3 weeks. This is not the case for mose beers because you usually bottle or keg after 2 to 3 weeks.

As far as the water is concerned, just make sure you boil and cool it before adding it. (im sure you know this but just in case I figured I would remind you.)

This was actually a full boil I just wasnt paying attention when I racked it in the fermenter and pitched the yeast. I read that adding water at this point tho will cause the beer to have a watered down taste. What do you think?

Dave, my OG was 1.060 and I rehydrated a dry yeast packet.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys

turkeybastera.jpg

And

Test%20Jar.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help.

Also, what is the best way to take a gravity reading for when the beer is in the fermenter?

I am going to pick up a Wine Thief as they call them. You sanitize it, insert it into the liquid, it fills up enough to slip the hydrometer in and read it. Seems really handy to me since it's 1 piece, and doubles as a hydrometer tube!

edit: hey I even found a thread here about it. The glass one. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/wine-thief-beer-thief-help-116342/

Back