secondary fermenter or wait to brew again....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

patrick66

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
I have one 6-gallon carboy I use as my primary fermenter and two additional 5-gallon bottles. The milk stout I brewed last is taking longer to ferment, probably because the temperature on my basement floor dropped to 62F. I brought it upstairs and it has been bubbling away at 64 degrees for about 10 days now. Today it has almost stopped. The instructions say to let the beer rest for a while before bottling. I am trying to decide whether to siphon it into a 5-gallon carboy (should be able to almost fill it up and minimize amount of oxygen), so I can brew the next batch (trying to stock-up for springtime), or whether I should just let this sit for two more weeks in the primary and be patient.
What do you think?
Thanks, Patrick
 

Golddiggie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
13,755
Reaction score
1,887
Location
Living free in the 603
I'd let it stay where it sits now until you're ready to package it. Only time I move something from fermenter, to something other than packaging is for a BIG item that needs months to age before being packaged. If you want to brew another batch, before the current one is empty, get another fermenting vessel.

Depending on your environment, it could be worth getting one of the fermenter heating items to maintain a better temperature (within the yeast's happy range) for fermentation. I added those for my conical fermenters since the basement (where they live) is cooler this winter than last year (moved some heat generating items out to help reduce summer time temps). I like to keep the batch in about the middle of the temperature range listed for the yeast being used. At least with the yeast I use for the majority of my beers. If a yeast does different things at different temperatures, you can then change the temperature (with the heating element/item) to match. IME, temperature control will help you get better beer.
 

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Joined
Mar 10, 2021
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
734
I'd leave it in the primary.

Being impatient to start another batch going, I'd scale down my recipe and and put 4 gallons or less in one of the 5 gallon buckets. Or scale up the recipe and split the boil between the two 5 gallon buckets.

If you were going to lager or store the beer for a long time before bottling or kegging, I might would move it. But just for 3 days to 2 weeks more I wouldn't bother.
 
OP
OP
P

patrick66

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
As a follow-up question: My next batch will be an IPA that needs dry-hopping. Would you still leave the brew in the primary fermenter for this, or transfer to the 5-gallon for dry-hopping / aging? I already found a second 6-gallon carboy on CG, now just deciding if the 5-gallons will get any use.
Thanks!
 
Top