Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want to keep it warm enough for the yeast to survive. Above 60 would be ideal. If a lager, can go cooler (lagering).

Leave it alone for 2 to 3 weeks in the primary. Then bottle or keg. No secondary needed.

secondary/No secondary is a personal choice. If you choose to do a secondary, give it the same conditions as your primary.

any concern re: sitting on the cake w/ potential off flavors from yeast trub? If so, what is a safe time frame for secondary?

I have determined that ales do not require a secondary because they are not in primary fermentation that long and I have never had any off flavors from leaving it in the primary fermenter. I have fermented high gravity ales up to 5 weeks without any problems. Edit: I think a lot of people disrupt a good fermentation by racking to a secondary way too early. Now you do not have enough yeast doing the job of fermentation and it takes a while for them to get going again.

Lagers require a secondary because they are in fermentation a lot longer (lagering).

I think that publications have over stated the importance of using a secondary and any time you are racking to another vessel you risk infection so it is up to the brewer to determine if a secondary is necessary for the type of brew he is making.

Back