secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrewer

Reaction score
started a true brew kit---canadian ale, kinda moosehead clone---stood in primary for a week and then racked to secondary---two weeks elapsed and now i have a nice white head in the carboy..is this a good thing or bad news?
is it time to bottle?

If you have a head, then you racked WAAAAYYYYY to soon, and fermentation started again. DO NOT BOTTLE!

If you use a secondary you shouldn't move it until fermentation is complete (taking hydro reading over three days and they haven't changed)

Although the name is confusing the Secondary is to Clear the beer.

sorry i didnt take hydro reading...it is fermenting in my basement never going over 68 degrees F....the temp is quite steady.the foam just showed up yesterday and got slightly heavier today.

sorry i didnt take hydro reading...it is fermenting in my basement never going over 68 degrees F....the temp is quite steady.the foam just showed up yesterday and got slightly heavier today.

Yeah I think the heat kicked up fermentation again...I would leave it alone for a couple weeks, then bottle...you'll be fine if you don't bottle too soon...

it had a very nice kraeusen in primary which also had good bubbling through the airlock for 3 to 4 days...after 7 days i racked to glass carboy

it had a very nice kraeusen in primary which also had good bubbling through the airlock for 3 to 4 days...after 7 days i racked to glass carboy

In the future use your hydrometer to judge when to move a beer. Instructions in kits are usually wrong...

Beer has it's own agenda and timeframe...the longer you let beer sit the better it is...

i can see that it may be a bit on the cool side in my basement...65-68 is possibly a slow fermentation...but i'll bet it is a good steady one

ok so this will have to stay in the glass carboy for awhile....i also have a pilsner in the ale pale...will it be ok in there for a week more?

I had the same question when i first got on this site. So I started leaving them in the primary 14 days just to be safe and it's worked out great. 14 days no matter what!

Back