Secondary Fermentation with Spice Infused Whisky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonYellow

~Expert Beer Drinker~ Noob Home Brewer~
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried to search the forum for secondary fermentation with whisky and somehow could only find whisky infusions using wood chips. :tinhat:

My brew day, this weekend (my first recipe), is a Vanilla, Cinnamon, Nutmeg Porter.
Hops - Williamette and WGV.

Pre-mash volume - 18L
Batch volume - 13L

My idea is to add Vanilla, Cinnamon and Nutmeg to this porter during secondary fermentation. The quantities that I'm looking to put are

1. Vanilla Beans - 2 beans
2. Cinnamon - 1 bark
3. Nutmeg powder-.35 gms ( I've read that even small amounts tend to be right in the face)

Whisky - Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition

I am planning on crushing them up and mixing them in about 35mls of whisky with intervals of agitation and rest for 8-9 days.

I would add the spices to a muslin bag (post-infusion) and place them in the secondary fermentation vessel with the whisky, siphoning my beer from primary (10 days) into secondary (4 days).

I plan to bottle condition this with dextrose and letting it sit for 10 days up until Christmas (2019). The whisky wouldn't kill my yeast, right? :confused.:

Would this be an issue in any way when it comes to my final beer? Are these spice amounts enough to shine through in my porter? :?: :?: :?:

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

I would put the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick in some whiskey for about 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure about the nutmeg powder . The powder might be best added at flameout . I would use 2 vanilla beans though. I also wouldn't rack to a secondary. I would add the vanilla bean/cinnamon stick along with the whiskey into your fermenter after fermentation. That's what I do with my stout and it turns out great.

Spices go along way so just be careful with the amount.

Latest posts

Back