Secondary Fermentation Vigorous w/ Oregon Raspberry Puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnVinoVeritas

Reaction score
Hello.

I am getting ready to do a weizen and use the raspberry in the secondary fermenter w/ a lambic yeast to see if I can fake a lambic for my wife.

I have 6.5 and 5 gallon carboy. If I do primary in 6.5 and secondary ini 5, will there be blow off due to added fructose? Or should I primary in the bucket and then move to the 6.5 for secondary?

Help appreciated ;)

Ryan
Gilbert, AZ

I would secondary in one of your 6.5g containers, either the bucket or the carboy. You will get renewed fermentation with the puree and you would likely lose a lot of beer to blow off in a 5g carboy.

GT

Hello.

I am getting ready to do a weizen and use the raspberry in the secondary fermenter w/ a lambic yeast to see if I can fake a lambic for my wife.

I have 6.5 and 5 gallon carboy. If I do primary in 6.5 and secondary ini 5, will there be blow off due to added fructose? Or should I primary in the bucket and then move to the 6.5 for secondary?

Help appreciated ;)

Ryan
Gilbert, AZ

Typically, people wait until the lambic has really taken shape before adding fruit. You likely won't do any harm by adding it sooner, but you have greater control if you wait.

Realize that lambic yeast likes time. A year is not uncommon for a lambic, so you can add it now, or you can wait and add as you see fit when it is closer to being done.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is the rub: I currently have it in a 6.5 carboy. I only have a bucket big enough to accommodate blowoff.

So, advice then on pitching the fruit directly into the primary, using the plastic bucket, or buying another 6.5 glass (yikes?!)... I cringe at the cost, but I know it would come in handy.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help.

As per the lambic yeast, it is still visibly fermenting at 7 days. A lot different from the ale yeasts I have used before.

Back