Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
Fellas,

I just finished bottling my first ever batch of beer, a Blonde Ale with US-05 yeast. 7 days primary and 7 in secondary (just followed the directions). I also just got done brewing my second batch, a Honey Weizen from NorthernBrewer using Safale-WB06 yeast (Plan was to keep in primary for 10 days and move to secondary for 2-3 weeks - again just following the included instructions).

I have looked across the internet for this answer with minimal success.......

I have a keggerator, in order for me to keep my primary fermentation temp down I put the fermenting bucket in the kegger, set the kegger on its warmest setting and then crack the door to the kegger about 4 inches....this keeps the Fermomenter that is attached to the bucket reading about a steady 65-66 degrees.

Of course this is not optimal since my kegger is running with the door cracked. I have no problem doing this during the primary fermentation, but do not want to do it during the secondary fermentation and keep my kegger working overtime. Also, I'm sure I could invest in a swamp cooler and other things but I'm really just curious to everyone's thoughts.

When I transferred my first initial batch to the glass carboy for secondary fermentation I left it in the house and the fermomenter read a steady 76 degress.

Will this temperature change from primary to secondary affect the beer a lot or barely not at all? Should it produce much off flavors or not since the fermentation process should be pretty much be complete after the primary?

Thanks

That's putting some serious strain on your fridge. As soon as you can, I recommend figuring out another method to maintain fermentation temps.

As for the temp change, most people don't have a problem letting a beer age at room temp following fermentation. In fact, it's really the first 2-4 days of fermentation that are most important for maintaining temp. After that a little rising temp is great to keep the yeast active to consume any off flavored by-products.

And finally, I'd recommend reading some stuff on this forum about not using secondary fermenters, especially stuff written by Revvy. You can save yourself a lot of hassle by not racking to another fermenter, and there are many more benefits.

Before I built my fermentation chamber, I'd float my fermenter outside in a trashcan filled with water. The thermal mass of the water never fluctuated more than 2-3 degrees from the average of the high/low temperature for the day. You can keep a floating thermometer in the water to make sure it's about the right temperature. If it's too cold, use a cheap old aquarium heater set at low. If it's too hot, add 2 liter soda bottles that you've filled with water and froze. Labor intensive in the summer, but it works.

Back