Secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
When ever I normally go into dry hopping or adding aroma with other ingredients I usually first rack to a secondary (glass carboy). 4 days ago I brewed a smoked vanilla porter and will enlist secondary fermentation for vanilla bean and oak chips. Question is; can I leave the wort in my primary fermentor and do the secondary aromatics there...just open the lid after a week and add my aromatics, leave for a week then rack to bottling bucket? With the exception of adding the aromatic ingredients I want to leave the wort as un-disturbed as possible until bottling.

When ever I normally go into dry hopping or adding aroma with other ingredients I usually first rack to a secondary (glass carboy). 4 days ago I brewed a smoked vanilla porter and will enlist secondary fermentation for vanilla bean and oak chips. Question is; can I leave the wort in my primary fermentor and do the secondary aromatics there...just open the lid after a week and add my aromatics, leave for a week then rack to bottling bucket? With the exception of adding the aromatic ingredients I want to leave the wort as un-disturbed as possible until bottling.

Many of us do most of our brewing in the primary including dry hopping. The exceptions are for long term aging of a barleywine and things that are added that might get lost in the trub layer. Your vanilla beans and oak chips could be some of the exceptions.:rockin:

I usually do around three weeks in the primary. When fermentation looks to be done, (around a week into it) I add my dry hops then without racking to a clean carboy.
Great aroma and hop flavor without running any additional risk of exposing the beer to the elements.

Back