Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
Last Saturday I brewed an oatmeal stout and today with a ton of leftover ingredients accumulated over the last couple months, I'm brewing a brown ale. But I have to get the stout out of my 6.5 gallon carboy. I've never used a secondary before (only brewed 5 batches so far) beause I just let it sit in the primary.

So, I want to rack this stout into a secondary. I'm going to the LHBS to get some yeast and the secondary. Should I be buying a 5 gallon carboy? I heard that you want as little oxygen in the carboy with your beer. But I was also thinking that even minimal fermentation would push that out. So I assume a 5 gallon with a stopper and airlock would be fine?

Any suggestions?

If you have 5 gallons of beer a 5 gallon carboy will do just fine. There may be a bit of bubbling in the air lock but fermentation should be just about complete.

That's what I thought but I like to double check every time I embark on something I haven't done!

Latest posts

Back