Secondary Fermentation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouletsm

Reaction score
Hi, this is my second batch of beer that I am brewing from a coopers can and noticed some major differences between the two different times. The first batch I brewed came out with an alcohol percentage of about 4 percent and had an apple taste to it which i believe was from excess aldehydes. This time I believe I used more sugar and had a very vigorous primary fermentation. Once I transfered to the secondary this time I noticed that the amount of bubbles coming out of the airlock was almost nothing. The first batch I would get a bubble about every 5 seconds or so but this time its more around one bubble per minute. It has been in a secondary for about 5 days now and has stayed at that rate since. The kit says to leave it in the secondary for up to 10 days and i was wondering if it was worth it or is this batch probably going to be a dud. Thanks

Most people leave their brew in the primary until fermentation is complete. Secondary is more for clearing then fermentation.

Your brew is not a dud.

You need to get a hydrometer so you can check gravity readings and know for a fact what is going on.

Also it's generally better to get kits that are all malt instead of adding sugar to your brew. My first batch was half sugar and just majorly sucked. Much better with all malt extract of some kind or other.

Back