Secondary fermentation dry hop and fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an IPA that I'm going to rack to a secondary vessel onto an apricot puree and dry hop. I usually just dry hop in the primary once fermentation is complete so I've never actually transfered my beer for secondary, nor have I ever added fruit. So I have a couple of questions.

It is my understanding that I should transfer the beer onto the fruit, should I also have the dry hops in the secondary, or add them after siphoning the beer, or does it matter?

Should I cold crash the primary before racking to secondary or cold crash after secondary is done? My thinking is that the chill haze will form and the yeast will still drop out in the primary, and then I can secondary the clear beer. On the other hand things could get hazy in the secondary again, but I'm not sure how the fruit flavor will be affected by cold crashing. Also if I fine with gelatin after secondary am I going to remove a lot of the fruit flavor (I know it will get some of the hops)?

If it makes a difference, this will be going into a keg. This will be my first use of my new keg setup, so I also have a thought that I can just skip the cold crash and let it fall out in the keg as it cold conditions.

A lot of questions, but I want this beer to turn out since I'm making it for my wife (I've got to justify why I need all of these gadgets), and it's going to be christening my keezer :ban:

Thanks!

Back