Secondary Fermemter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Brew

Reaction score
I've been on this site a couple of times but just registered and this is my first post. I'm very new to the whole home brewing process, I'm working on my second batch right now (it's a honey pale ale but I upped the hops). My first beer came from a kit, descent but nothing to write home about. While it was fermenting, there was very little sediment in the bottom of the carboy. This beer has a lot of sediment on the bottom. This batch started fermenting about 10 days ago and the bubbles in the airlock are still going at a pretty rapid pace (about one every three seconds), my guess is from all of the sugar from the honey. My question is how necessary is a secondary fermenter? I've heard that all of the sediment in the bottom can start to impart flavors but I don't know the time frame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off welcome.

Everyone here will pretty much state do the secondary and use a 5g glass carboy. 4-7 days after in the primary rack to your secondary and then keep it in there for approx 14 days. Clarifiies, continues to ferment and as you've stated allows it to get off the large trub on the bottom of the primary. For the $18-25 investment for a glass carboy your beer and belly will thank you for it.

DesertBrew said:
First off welcome.

Everyone here will pretty much state do the secondary and use a 5g glass carboy. 4-7 days after in the primary rack to your secondary and then keep it in there for approx 14 days. Clarifiies, continues to ferment and as you've stated allows it to get off the large trub on the bottom of the primary. For the $18-25 investment for a glass carboy your beer and belly will thank you for it.

I'm sure you are being sarcastic;) very few if any people here recommend racking to secondary after 4-7 days........

I've been on this site a couple of times but just registered and this is my first post. I'm very new to the whole home brewing process, I'm working on my second batch right now (it's a honey pale ale but I upped the hops). My first beer came from a kit, descent but nothing to write home about. While it was fermenting, there was very little sediment in the bottom of the carboy. This beer has a lot of sediment on the bottom. This batch started fermenting about 10 days ago and the bubbles in the airlock are still going at a pretty rapid pace (about one every three seconds), my guess is from all of the sugar from the honey. My question is how necessary is a secondary fermenter? I've heard that all of the sediment in the bottom can start to impart flavors but I don't know the time frame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't tell you the exact amount of time but a friend reported that 8 months wasn't too much time. I've never gone much over 2 months myself.

OK Who is dredging up these 2005 threads? This is the second one I have run across tonight.

You guys are commenting on advise that was current thinking eight years ago!

Back