Secondary clearing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what the almost clear 1/4" layer of liquid is on the top of my beer in my secondary. I hope the photo shows it clearly. I have had my Amarillo Pale Ale in my secondary for 20 days now and I have had this clear layer/ring on top for most of the 20 days, it has varied from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inches thick, stays at the top of the carboy, and is as clear as water when I look horizontally through it, but the rest of the beer doesn't look like it is clearing very fast. Hoping this ring was the normal stage of clearing starting at the top and working down, I moved the carboy closer to an outside window to try and lower the temp from 68-70* to 66-67* hoping to make the yeast less active and drop out, but my ring is still there and has not increased in size, and the rest of the beer below this clearer layer still doesn't look any clearer. I have tasted the beer and it tastes good so I don't think it is bad, but also don't think it is clearing correctly.

This is my first time at using a secondary and this ring might be normal but don't know.

Is this suspended layer of clear liquid residue or oil left after removing my hop bag? Might it be one of the less desirable alcohols produced during fermentation? Should I avoid siphoning this layer when racking into my bottle bucket or should I try to mix it in while racking? How much longer should I leave it in my secondary to allow it to clear further?

clearing.jpg

Interesting. I have never looked that closely at my secondary so I don't honestly know what that is or if it has ever occurred in my beers.

It isn't oil from your grain bag there is too much if it is 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

It could be oil or something from the grains themselves I suppose.

When you get ready to rack, I'd try to minimize the uptake of that stuff.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Good luck

Hmmm.

It seems like you should see clearing in 20 days. Is your gravity stable?

I'm in the middle of my first batch, and after about 3 or 4 days in the primary I noticed that clear layer too. I didn't use a grain bag, just threw the hop pellets in the boil, I don't know what it is, I was hoping the beer was clearing too.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a common effect when fluid is in a cylinder, and a meniscus is formed. Check out this link:

Reading the Volume from a 100-mL Graduated Cylinder

You can also search for "how to read a graduated cylinder" for more explaination on how and why this happens.

I don't think this is what I am looking at, this is between 1/4 and 1/2 inches thick and seems to vary day to day.

I wouldn't worry about it, as it is probably oils from the hops.

If you want a clearer brew, then finning at this stage is advisable, and don't keep your brew next to a window where light can shine on it. Direct ( and indirect ) sunlight as well as light from flouresent bulbs can skunk a brew.

I wouldn't worry about it, as it is probably oils from the hops.

If you want a clearer brew, then finning at this stage is advisable, and don't keep your brew next to a window where light can shine on it. Direct ( and indirect ) sunlight as well as light from flouresent bulbs can skunk a brew.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't mention in my original post that I had my carboy covered with a black towel.

After about one week of having it closer to the window and dropping down to 66* or so, the ring on the top is gone (today) Any ideas if it will clear more, or is 3 weeks in the secondary enough? Since this is the first time I have used a glass carboy-and have done a secondary fermentation, it might be ready (as clear as it's going to get) and I am falsely expecting it to look clearer.

The clear layer is just clarified beer... Every secondary I have ever done starts off that way, often beginning to clarify within a day. I wouldnt expect your beer to clarify significantly beyond what you are currently seeing if you have been in secondary for 20 days.. Chock it up to experience and brew another batch! I have been through many gallons of cloudy beers, doesnt hurt anything but the presentation..

My cloudy beer comes from looking at it between giant gulps of Home Brew.

Wait, maybe the beer isn't cloudy.... :drunk:

Back