Secondary Carboy vs. Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I wanted to expand my pipeline, but don't quite feel like shelling out $20 each for better bottles. To allow some beers to age or clear longer, and still being able to keep on my 2 week schedule. And the handle will also help, since I can barely lift 5 gallons.

What are the disadvantages to using a bucket as a secondary. I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket which states an actual capacity of 5.37gal. I'm guessing that's about the same volume as a 5 gallon carboy.

Any other opinions or thoughts?

It should be fine, assuming you aren't going to be leaving the beer in there for longer than a couple of months. From my understanding, buckets can allow oxygen into the beer, but I have never noticed. :)

From my understanding, buckets can allow oxygen into the beer, but I have never noticed. :)

Ya know, everybody tells me that too but I never experienced oxygen-causing off flavors. You'll be fine with a bucket!

Sweet, I can get 3 for the price of one better bottle. Guess I have to clear out more room in the closet.

Nobody thinks that not being able to see the beer is an issue? Am I the only person that sits by his carboy at night and drewls....??

Nobody thinks that not being able to see the beer is an issue? Am I the only person that sits by his carboy at night and drewls....??

Yes.

Just Kidding. It is nice to be able to see your beer while it's doing it's thing, but it's also nice to secondary in a bucket with a spigot, and cheaper.

Mosquitocontrol,

If you can find the 6.5 gal. buckets, I feel you would be better served. Then you could just do a 3 - 4 week primary only and be done w/ it. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of secondaries. (more work and a greater chance of infection / oxidation)

I stumbled upon a stack of 6.5 gal. buckets that previously held driveway salt. There are a slew of previously used buckets that can be recomissioned if you keep your eyes open.

If the 5's are your only option...then go for it.

Mike

I stumbled upon a stack of 6.5 gal. buckets that previously held driveway salt. There are a slew of previously used buckets that can be recomissioned if you keep your eyes open.

If the 5's are your only option...then go for it.

Mike

While there are many buckets that can be used for fermentation, I don't know that one that previously held driveway salt would be the best one. I doubt the bucket itself is food grade, nor can you really be sure that is completely clean. Try a local bakery, or the bakery at Walmart and ask for the frosting buckets. :)

Back