Quantcast

Secondary Carboy vs. Bucket

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I wanted to expand my pipeline, but don't quite feel like shelling out $20 each for better bottles. To allow some beers to age or clear longer, and still being able to keep on my 2 week schedule. And the handle will also help, since I can barely lift 5 gallons.

What are the disadvantages to using a bucket as a secondary. I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket which states an actual capacity of 5.37gal. I'm guessing that's about the same volume as a 5 gallon carboy.

Any other opinions or thoughts?

Jipper

Reaction score
It should be fine, assuming you aren't going to be leaving the beer in there for longer than a couple of months. From my understanding, buckets can allow oxygen into the beer, but I have never noticed. :)

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
From my understanding, buckets can allow oxygen into the beer, but I have never noticed. :)
Ya know, everybody tells me that too but I never experienced oxygen-causing off flavors. You'll be fine with a bucket!

OP
M

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Sweet, I can get 3 for the price of one better bottle. Guess I have to clear out more room in the closet.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Nobody thinks that not being able to see the beer is an issue? Am I the only person that sits by his carboy at night and drewls....??

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody thinks that not being able to see the beer is an issue? Am I the only person that sits by his carboy at night and drewls....??
Yes.

Just Kidding. It is nice to be able to see your beer while it's doing it's thing, but it's also nice to secondary in a bucket with a spigot, and cheaper.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Mosquitocontrol,

If you can find the 6.5 gal. buckets, I feel you would be better served. Then you could just do a 3 - 4 week primary only and be done w/ it. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of secondaries. (more work and a greater chance of infection / oxidation)

I stumbled upon a stack of 6.5 gal. buckets that previously held driveway salt. There are a slew of previously used buckets that can be recomissioned if you keep your eyes open.

If the 5's are your only option...then go for it.

Mike

hcarter

Reaction score
I stumbled upon a stack of 6.5 gal. buckets that previously held driveway salt. There are a slew of previously used buckets that can be recomissioned if you keep your eyes open.

If the 5's are your only option...then go for it.

Mike
While there are many buckets that can be used for fermentation, I don't know that one that previously held driveway salt would be the best one. I doubt the bucket itself is food grade, nor can you really be sure that is completely clean. Try a local bakery, or the bakery at Walmart and ask for the frosting buckets. :)