Secondary Brett Fermentation - Brett Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toman8r

Reaction score
When using Brettanomyces for a secondary fermentation is it OK to first make a starter with the Brett?

My understanding is that when Brett is used in a secondary fermentation it will be superattenuative (90%+). And when Brett is used as the sole fermentation strain it is not nearly as attenuative (~80%).

Since Brett will be the sole fermentation strain in the starter I assume it will adjust to this environment and not superattenuate. But when the starter is pitched into my beer (that has already been through a primary Sacc fermentation), will the Brett be able to adjust to their new environment and superattenuate?

I'd just pitch this Brett vial but it expired in July 09 and the mrmalty calculator says the viability is only 10%, so I am thinking a starter would really help.

I have not used a Brett yet, but my understanding is that it is not needed to make a starter. Stresssing the Brett in this situation can be considered a good thing and it will help it produce a lot of its flavors.

Someone else correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure I have heard this before....

Out of curiosity, what was your OG, and what will be the gravity going in to secondary?

OG 1.062, current gravity is 1.026 (been there for over a month now).

I have not used a Brett yet, but my understanding is that it is not needed to make a starter. Stresssing the Brett in this situation can be considered a good thing and it will help it produce a lot of its flavors.

Someone else correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure I have heard this before....

I've heard that too, I am just concerned because it expired so damn long ago.

I think I'm just going to pick up a new vial and save this one for an all brett beer where I can feel comfortable making a starter and stepping it up a few times.

I've worked with Brett some and its activity is so slow that putting it in a starter is a waste of time. Just dump it in and wait awhile. If you don't have some awful-looking gunk show up in a month, get a new batch. How long are you planning to leave it in total time?

I'm thinking 6 months or so, longer if necessary. The other half of the batch is getting the dregs of a bottle of Consecration (prob more bugs later too) and 1+ year most likely.

toman8r, I know this was a long time ago but how did it turn out? I'm in a similar situation now with a brett lambic that I just pitched into secondary. Any results, tips, or advice would be appreciate. Thanks!

Back