Secondary and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave46382

Reaction score
Assuming that a lot of brewers don't rack after the primary fermentation and just let their beer secondary in the same primary container until bottling/kegging....I have a question about cold crashing.

Should I secondary as long as I feel appropriate and then cold crash or can I combine the secondary and cold crashing in the same step, ie, time duration?

Or maybe the better question should be is cold crashing even worth it (for non competition brewers)?

You can cold crash the primary or secondary. It clears the beer. I've never entered a contest, but often crash some of my beers. If you don't mind the looks of your beer in its natural state, then don't worry about it.

I cold crash the primary! Why bother with transferring to 2ndary unless you are adding something or long term bulk aging? I have started to always cold crash as I like to drop out as much as I can before kegging without adding Gelatin or other stuff.

Back