Secondary air lock action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
I racked a bock to secondary last saturday,and i'm still getting a little action from the air lock.The FG was right on the money before I racked it.Is this normal?I also started using star san with this batch,does that make a difference?

Star San makes no difference in fermentation, just sanitizing.

It is not odd to see action in the secondary, just be lucky you are using one or you might have bottle bombs. I check my gravity once a week, once it reaches my expected FG (estimated from Beersmith), I usually wait one more week and more often than it drops a bit more.

How long was it in Primary?

Are you adding any flavoring agents in the secondary or just using it to clarify the beer more.

Star San makes no difference in fermentation, just sanitizing.

It is not odd to see action in the secondary, just be lucky you are using one or you might have bottle bombs. I check my gravity once a week, once it reaches my expected FG (estimated from Beersmith), I usually wait one more week and more often than it drops a bit more.

How long was it in Primary?

Are you adding any flavoring agents in the secondary or just using it to clarify the beer more.

In the primary for a week.
No flavoring,just clairifying.

FG does little good without OG and yeast attenuation. My guess is that its either degassing(unlikely this long after transfer) or fermentation kicked up again. Take another hydro reading.

The OG was 1.073.The fermentation kicked back up?Will this lowwer my FG?

You should wait until the FG is constant over about 72 hours, then bottle. As has been said several thousand times around here, airlock activity is not a proper gauge of fermentation.

^+1, constant consecutive hydro readings over the course of 2-3 days.
IIRC you said you racked at 1.018, at that grav I'b be a little concerened about bottle bombs if I didn't confirm stable gravity.

Agreed. Maybe move the secondary to an area that the temp can get up to near 70 to help nudge the notty a little bit.

I wouldn't be too concerned about bottle bombs. 1.020 is usually my "must be under" OG reading.

Back