Secondary Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
First time I've done this so stay with me here.

I just racked that 11% ABV IPA I brewed into my secondary to let it age so the alcohol flavor will mellow.

My question is this: How long should I let it sit before I dry hop and bottle? Also, will I need to add more yeast before I bottle or will the corn sugar reawake what yeast is left?

I asked this in another thread but got no answer to those specific questions. I just didn't know if it should age in the secondary fermenter or in the bottle? If it's better in the secondary to age I want to know how long and will it effect carbonation.

Thank you.

Well, at 11% I don't know how much mellowing you're gonna get. 11% is downright boozy.:drunk:

You can dryhop anytime you want in the secondary. How long is based on how much hops, the AA%, and how much aroma you're looking for.

You don't need to add more yeast. There will be plenty of yeast in your beer to carbonate your bottles. You just need to give the bottles 3-4 weeks to condition. How much sugar is based on how much carbonation you want.

Thank you .

I was just wondering which method of aging you all think is better, secondary or bottle.

Thank you .

I was just wondering which method of aging you all think is better, secondary or bottle.

My personal preference for aging an IPA is in the bottle. Dry hop for the amount of time you need then bottle. Tasting a couple bottles can begin after three weeks at 70° and two to three days chilling.

High-ABV IPAs are a bit of a paradox. Hop aroma fades quickly with time, so IPAs are traditionally better appreciated fresh. Yet the higher alcohol content can lend a harsh, boozy edge to the beer, which will mellow with time.

If it were me, I'd dry hop it right away and bottle according to my regular schedule. I'd age in the bottles, sampling one each week to try and find that "sweet spot" where the booziness is fading, but some hop aroma still persists.

Back