Second year with hop crowns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
I checked today and saw under the straw some signs of growth. This is an awesome feeling after this insane winter esp here in MI.

I bought five crowns from great lakes. It was an okay yield for the first year. I expected it to be good since I started from crowns not rhizomes. But will the yield improve this second year?

What is a modest yield per mature plant?

From what I've read the first year you'll possibly receive 80% due to the plant developing it's root more than producing hops. Second year should be booming.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can tell you there is a substantial increase in production in year two when starting with rhizomes, and even greater increase in year three. I'm almost afraid what's going to happen this year. Not sure how much better transplanted crowns do year to year as they still have to (re)develop a root system, but I'm sure there's still a big increase...

Cheers!

First year either way is root development

So there is no account for the root development of crowns? I thought that was the point of crowns.

These roots go 20 feet potentially deep

Jeesh. So then how do some get very too yield planting in boxes? I'll have read some more....

I bought five crowns from great lakes. It was an okay yield for the first year. I expected it to be good since I started from crowns not rhizomes. But will the yield improve this second year?

What is a modest yield per mature plant?

In most cases, the yield will improve in your second year. If it doesn't, you probably have something seriously wrong with your soil. Also, as years go by your crown will usually get bigger and bigger and continue to put out more and more shoots so it's wise to do some pruning on it to keep it manageable.

As for the roots, they have the ability to grow down for quite a ways, even in nasty soil. I've seen them as thick around as my wrist at about 3 feet down while trying to remove some established crowns. So 20 feet probably isn't too far fetched. Some folks can get a good harvest while growing them in planters but just imagine how much better it could be if the plants weren't confined.

Modest yield? Some varieties I've grown have given me over two pounds per plant while others only manage a few ounces. If you look at GLH website, each variety lists it's potential yield/acre. You're most likely not going to be growing acres of hops, but you should be able to get a feel for how heavy/light the individual varieties have performed over time.

In most cases, the yield will improve in your second year. If it doesn't, you probably have something seriously wrong with your soil. Also, as years go by your crown will usually get bigger and bigger and continue to put out more and more shoots so it's wise to do some pruning on it to keep it manageable.

As for the roots, they have the ability to grow down for quite a ways, even in nasty soil. I've seen them as thick around as my wrist at about 3 feet down while trying to remove some established crowns. So 20 feet probably isn't too far fetched. Some folks can get a good harvest while growing them in planters but just imagine how much better it could be if the plants weren't confined.

Modest yield? Some varieties I've grown have given me over two pounds per plant while others only manage a few ounces. If you look at GLH website, each variety lists it's potential yield/acre. You're most likely not going to be growing acres of hops, but you should be able to get a feel for how heavy/light the individual varieties have performed over time.

Awesome. Thx for the input. I'm excited for this season!

Back