Second time kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK 5 gallons of IPA into a corny keg, sealed lid at 30 pounds, shut the gas off purge the headspace.

turn the gas back on and put it at my serving pressure which is 12 pounds and did the shake and bake for about a minute.

The keg is in the cooler, 30 minutes later shut the gas off purged the headspace, turn the gas back on put it at 12 pounds did the shake and bake for about a minute.

now I was going to post something up before doing anything but for some reason I could not get onto the site so I’m pretty sure I did it like I was supposed to but please chime in

The last time I did this I had a nice pour from beginning to end on the keg but if anything could be a little different I wish it had a little more carbonation to it.

what should I do differently as of now for the rest of the day to be drinking this this evening? Thanks in advance, Bob

image.jpg

But it will take a while for the keg to get to 40F. Sounds like you initially were carbonating at room temp, since the keg room temp keg was put into a 40F cooler. 30 minutes isn't enough time to get 5 gallons of room temp beer in the keg cold (to 40F).

Yeah last time I put a room temperature keg into a room temperature cooler. Turned on the cooler and started doing the shake and bake thing for probably about eight hours. It came out fine it poured nicely, if I could’ve done something different to have it be a little more carbonated I would’ve done that not sure if that something I can do this go around or not?

OK I just tried a glass and there was no head on the beer at all. So now do I just keep this up till tomorrow or is there something else I could do to help it along

I'm fairly new to kegging too, but it sounds like your process is off. Here is what I do. Once I transfer to my keg, I hit it with 5 pounds of co2 and purge. Repeat this a few times to remove oxygen, then hit it one more time with 5 pounds to seal the keg and remove the co2 line. Refrigerate for 24 hours to get to your serving temp. Then hit it with 30 pounds for 24 hours. This high pressure will force carb the beer in a short time. Then set the regulator to your serving pressure, purge the keg to drop the pressure in your head space, and wait a couple days for the beer to be fully carbonated.

OK 5 gallons of IPA into a corny keg, sealed lid at 30 pounds, shut the gas off purge the headspace.

turn the gas back on and put it at my serving pressure which is 12 pounds and did the shake and bake for about a minute.

The keg is in the cooler, 30 minutes later shut the gas off purged the headspace, turn the gas back on put it at 12 pounds did the shake and bake for about a minute.

now I was going to post something up before doing anything but for some reason I could not get onto the site so I’m pretty sure I did it like I was supposed to but please chime in

The last time I did this I had a nice pour from beginning to end on the keg but if anything could be a little different I wish it had a little more carbonation to it.

what should I do differently as of now for the rest of the day to be drinking this this evening? Thanks in advance, Bob

View attachment 690234
I bought an infusion stone with a new keg lid and I get quicker carbonation every time now!

Back