Second Runnings Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I may be doing a Second Runnings on my next batch and was wondering how to go about this?

My brew days are normally very long and exhausting so I usually finish up around 10pm and don't have time to start another batch.. I didn't know if you typically have 2 batches going at the same time or if you start the second batch after the first is finished, or if you are supposed to store the wort until your next brew?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I would assume most of you don't do a double brew day but I might be wrong haha if you are supposed to store the extra wort, how do you go about doing this?

Thanks!

Usually a parti-gyle brew (2 beers, 1 mash) is done sequentially on the same day. You could boil the second runnings for 15 mins to sanitize and store it in the fridge, but that will take up a lot of space and still should be brewed with ASAP for fear of contamination/spoilage. Or you could freeze it in gallon jugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Easiest way would be to pick up a second burner (~$50-75 for a night of sleep...probably worth it) so you can just sparge with double the amount of water and boil both batches simultaneously. Otherwise, I'd advise you chill your second runnings and do your boil on them RIGHT when you can to eliminate potential spoilage, as your wort won't even have hop oils to help protect from infection.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back