Second Runnings Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbram

Reaction score
I am about to brew a rather big porter in the next week or so, and I'm interested in trying to get 2 beers out of the grains. What I'm planning to do is use the first runnings to make a molasses porter, and then add about 4lb of pale malt to the almost spent grains and use that to make a 3.5ish% ABV Northern English Mild. I'll probably use some honey as an adjunct for that. Since I will be using sugary adjuncts in both beers, I'm not worried about getting super incredible efficiency. I'm intrigued by the thought of making a second runnings mild. Do you think this will work?

I think it would be just fine... There are several breweries that make "small" beers after doing large barleywines or stouts. I'm not too sure about the ratios or adding additional grains. You could always keep some extract on hand just in case you don't hit your gravity.

They call it a parti-gyle and it's full of brewing history. It thought this article was interesting. I've only started looking into this myself, as I've become interested in scotch ales, strong american ales and barley wines. I saw some threads where the results were not so good, but I suppose that it needs to be treated as it's own separate brew. The tough part seems to be which yeast you'd select since there really is no telling what the wort will taste like until you brew it. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Done and done.... results are about to be bottled and taste awesome so far!

Good to hear you've had some success with this. I'm going to be doing the same thing with an Imperial IPA from first runnings, then adding 3 pounds of rye and remashing to make a Rye PA - its always nice to hear that someone else has had good results with the same type of setup!

SouthBay, nice to hear someone else is going to try this. I dumped out a bit of my spent grains after the porter, and added 4lb pale malt and a bit of crystal 60L. Mashed this at 148 and ended up with an OG of about 1.038. Finished up at 1.009. Really really nice flavour profile. Can`t wait til it`s carbed.

I'm hoping to give this a try in the near future, as well. I'm planning on buying some bulk grains soon, and then it's "game on"!

I'm hoping to give this a try in the near future, as well. I'm planning on buying some bulk grains soon, and then it's "game on"!

Ha, you must be in the same position that I am...or roughly.

Brewing AG, no mill, bout ready to get one and the 50 pound sacks of grain and the untold pounds of hops that come along with a grain mill :D

Hope we both hide the full expense from SWMBO well enough :)

Ha, you must be in the same position that I am...or roughly.

Brewing AG, no mill, bout ready to get one and the 50 pound sacks of grain and the untold pounds of hops that come along with a grain mill :D

Hope we both hide the full expense from SWMBO well enough :)

We are in the exact same boat, except I pushed my swmbo overboard years ago! I'm single/divorced, so I have free range with brewing :ban:

I recently did the pasta machine - grain mill conversion. Works well and gives me loads of brew-day flexibility.

I recently did the pasta machine - grain mill conversion. Works well and gives me loads of brew-day flexibility.

I thought about doing that, but I love making pasta with my pasta machine! I'm gonna try a Corona Mill..

I thought about doing that, but I love making pasta with my pasta machine! I'm gonna try a Corona Mill..

The only problem with Corona mills is that I have this phobia that using one will make me start producing skunky, watered-down Mexican lagers :rockin:

Good to hear you've had some success with this. I'm going to be doing the same thing with an Imperial IPA from first runnings, then adding 3 pounds of rye and remashing to make a Rye PA - its always nice to hear that someone else has had good results with the same type of setup!

Please update us.

I need some encouragement to give this a shot

So here is the update just over a month later. The results are awesome! Sadly, the exact recipe is a bit of a mystery, as I didn't exactly measure the grains I scooped out after mashing for the Porter. The mild, however, is excellent and I can say with some certainty that this method works well.

Tasting notes on the mild:

Appearance: A nice fiery red-brown, very very clear, with a dense white head that fades slowly to a nice film/ring that lasts until the end of the pint (see photo). Lacing isn't great, but I think I may be having some glassware cleaning issues with my dishwasher.

Aroma: Strangely, the smell reminds me of a pilsner or something similar, but slightly more biscuity. It's just a nice fresh beer smell without a lot of anything that really stands out.

Mouth Feel: Lightly carbonated and very soft. Nicely balanced and not thin.

Flavour: Reminds me of something between Smithwicks and Newcastle Brown. A light biscuity-ness and a hint of honey sweetness to the finish. Good balance between malty and hoppy notes. Nothing overpowering at all. A very well balanced beer with a nice smooth finish. No aftertaste.

DSC_2605.jpg

im brewing a 9 abv coffee brown and was gonna mash out but not sparge. From there, without adding or removing any grain, can I just remash and do everything I did for the first runnings for my second runnings? Or is there a limit to how big a batch I can make out of my second runnings? Im brewing to celebrate National Homebrew Day and my buddy just got his gear in without enough time to get grains. My idea was to give him my 2nd runnings so he can brew his first batch that day since he wanted a brown around 4.5 abv anyway. Should he not expect much volume out of the 2nd runnings and should I have some DME on hand in case its needed to get him a 4.5abv finish?

im brewing a 9 abv coffee brown and was gonna mash out but not sparge. From there, without adding or removing any grain, can I just remash and do everything I did for the first runnings for my second runnings? Or is there a limit to how big a batch I can make out of my second runnings? Im brewing to celebrate National Homebrew Day and my buddy just got his gear in without enough time to get grains. My idea was to give him my 2nd runnings so he can brew his first batch that day since he wanted a brown around 4.5 abv anyway. Should he not expect much volume out of the 2nd runnings and should I have some DME on hand in case its needed to get him a 4.5abv finish?

You would likely need to add more grain when you mash or add the DME to the boil..

I recently tried this with a small-batch BIAB stout I was brewing. Since I was using a no-sparge BIAB method, I figured there was probably a good amount of sugar still in those grains, so I just steeped them in a new pot of water for about an hour, tossed in some hops, and boiled it, then used some Safale-US05. It didn't ferment very vigorously, but it did ferment, and now I've got it in a tap-a-draft bottle. It ran out fairly light-colored, which kind of surprised me, but I guess most of the color of the roasted grains got leached off in the first runnings.

Will taste test it tonight and get back to you.

Back