Second Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeansberg

Reaction score
This is my second recipe. I am basically using the same ingredients as for my first recipe plus adding Crystal malt and some corn sugar. I'm trying to get a maltier beer, perhaps with some caramel/chocolate tones.

I'm basically just making limited modifications to my first recipe in order to learn. I am bottling beer no. 1 tomorrow and planning to brew this one the day after. That means I will not be able to taste the first recipe before modifying it!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Beer no. 2
Brewer: jeansberg
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (-)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5,00 L
Boil Size: 4,00 L
Estimated OG: 1,059 SG
Estimated Color: 18,3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25,2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0,75 kg Muntons Medium Spraymalt (16,5 SRM) Dry Extract 77,3 %
0,18 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60,0 SRM) Grain 18,6 %
5,00 gm Challenger [6,70%] (60 min) Hops 12,4 IBU
7,50 gm Challenger [6,70%] (20 min) Hops 11,3 IBU
7,50 gm Challenger [6,70%] (2 min) Hops 1,6 IBU
0,04 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0,0 SRM) Sugar 4,1 %
5,63 L Vasa, Finland Water
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Does it look all right? Should i skip the corn sugar? I have plenty of that. :)

If you want a maltier beer, I would skip the corn sugar for sure. That will thin your beer, giving you a higher alcohol with less body, which sounds like the exact opposite of what you are aiming for!

Otherwise this looks good. If you want chocolate notes, maybe add a small amount of chocolate malt as well?

Ok, thanks. I will skip the sugar. It's just that I've seen it in a number of brown ale recipes on the net.

I don't have any chocolate malt. It's probably good advice, but I will save that for future recipes. What I have is medium DME, Challenger hops and Caramel 60L. I thought I had Caramel 120L. When it arrived today, however, it turns out it was 120 EBC. Beer no. 2 won't be as dark as I had planned previously :/

Back