Second Pitching Rate Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see fermentation temp in there. What was it? Depending on the temperature, that could seriously affect the results. Or maybe not, but we wouldn't know if we don't know the temp.

Also, the spread of over and under rates seemed too wide to me to be of any use. I don't think anyone would under or over pitch that seriously. A tighter range, like 1m/ml, 0.75m/ml, and 0.5m/ml would have been more interesting (to me).

I'm planning my own fermentation trials soon, but with the range of pitches I mentioned previously, with one round fermented at 15*C and one at 20*C.

I didn't see fermentation temp in there. What was it? Depending on the temperature, that could seriously affect the results. Or maybe not, but we wouldn't know if we don't know the temp.

Also, the spread of over and under rates seemed too wide to me to be of any use. I don't think anyone would under or over pitch that seriously. A tighter range, like 1m/ml, 0.75m/ml, and 0.5m/ml would have been more interesting (to me).

I'm planning my own fermentation trials soon, but with the range of pitches I mentioned previously, with one round fermented at 15*C and one at 20*C.

The fermentation was kept at a constant 71F. Should have mentioned that.

You know some people have said that the spread is too wide. I tend to disagree depending on the situation.

For example, pitching one smack into a HUGE beer (1.090 and up) would reflect the underpitch. The overpitch could be throwing a mild ale (1.032) onto a massive yeast cake.

Also, the point was to try and see some differences. The fact that the differences I saw were mild is suggestive.

Small errors in pitching rates my not effect the fermentation as drastically.

However, I do concede that the experiment (smaller spread) needs to be done.

J

I wonder about the applicability of these results to other yeast strains. I know certain wine yeasts provide stable fermentation kinetics across a range of temperatures. I assume different strains are more or less stable at different pitching rates. Overpitching weizens and missing banana esters come to mind.

I wonder about the applicability of these results to other yeast strains. I know certain wine yeasts provide stable fermentation kinetics across a range of temperatures. I assume different strains are more or less stable at different pitching rates. Overpitching weizens and missing banana esters come to mind.

Yup - I was close to choosing a weizen strain when I did the experiment.

J

Back