Second Krausen? Anybody had this happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowilly

Reaction score
I'm brewing a black ale with yeast harvested from the last batch of black ale. Everything went fine, fermentation started, krausen rose and fell, I shook it up a bit on day 3 to allow a friend to smell what comes out of the airlock. The next day, the krausen had risen again to the top of the bucket and started coming out of the airlock. Has anyone else had this happen? What could it mean?

No.

Most likey your friend's breath infected it.

Just kidding.

Maybe the temp fell during the first krausen?

I got tired of worrying about such things, so I don't open the buckets until they stop bubbling.

Probably a good rule to follow.

yeah, this is almost certainly not an issue. different yeasts act differently, temp differences (even small ones) can cause stuff like this. I know it is difficult, but just try not to touch it for 2 - 3 weeks. I don't check my gravity at all for at least 3 weeks -- and even then I've seem inconsistent fermentations (comes and goes over several days).

Well, I didn't say I would dump it!:)

My husband was freaking out about it and I tried to explain that it was probably nothing to worry about, but he wanted me to ask you guys, even after reading the 'Did I Ruin It?' and the 'NEVER Dump Your Beer' threads to him. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys! I'll tell him to RDWHAHB- again!:mug:

What strain of yeast was it? How did you harvest it? If it's a top fermenting yeast and/or you top-cropped it from the previous batch a second krausen would not be surprising. My washed Wyeast 3787 is like that. The krausen rises, falls and then it's like all the yeast is trying to jump out of the carboy.

This usually happens to folks who secondary too soon, the act of racking causes fermentation to start again. More than likely you started with a rapid fermentation that may have even become stuck had you not shook it up on day three. You kicked the yeast back to work again.

Nothing to worry about.

What I'd bet happened is that your yeast stalled out a bit, and some of it settled to the bottom. Shaking it up redistributed the yeast and they all started munching away again, meaning a more active fermentation than had been previously taking place. Thus new krauzen.

What strain of yeast was it? How did you harvest it?

It's Wyeast 1056 and not harvested, but washed from the trub of the prior batch (sorry, still learning terminology). I made a starter for it, so it was in good shape when it came time to pitch. Shake, shake, shake, bubble, bubble, bubble, then quiet, little shake, then BAM!:D

It's Wyeast 1056 and not harvested, but washed from the trub of the prior batch (sorry, still learning terminology). I made a starter for it, so it was in good shape when it came time to pitch. Shake, shake, shake, bubble, bubble, bubble, then quiet, little shake, then BAM!:D

Doesn't look that's a top cropping yeast. It's probably just the agitation got them yeast kicked into high gear again along with some CO2 coming out of solution.

Back