Second Hot Break?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

splyn

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend i was brewing a porter for winter. everything went well, was hitting my numbers within reason. i decided to boil for 90 min to bring up the ABV with about 15 min remaining i ran out of propane just after i added a whirlfloc tablet. not a problem as i always have at least one extra full tank. I hooked up the new tank but struggled getting the burner lit (hose wasnt seating on the tank properly. user error). after about 3 min of fussing the the tank, i got it working and the burner lit. I then added my aroma hops and when the boil resumed, the kettle almost boiled over!! the bubbles/foam was not as thick/protein rich as a normal hot break, but still concerning. I have never had this happen before. any thoughts as to what may have caused this?

mredge73

Reaction score
Happens to me often, especially when I use wheat. I have a 5 min sanitize step toward the end of my boil and before the 10 min hop addition where I run boiling wort through all my hoses, pump, and cooler to kill off anything that may be lurking inside. The heat loss often stops the boil for 2-3 minutes and when it resumes I will get a small hot break. Hop additions at this point will bring more foam. I don't know what causes it and haven't really worried about it, I just watch for it.

OP
splyn

splyn

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
i worried for a moment, thinking something fell into the wort or that i added something i shouldnt have. but then i just grabbed a homebrew....

RuffRider

Goatlocker Brewery
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It has happened to me before right after adding the whirfloc tablet. Remember, it's a clarifier designed to get all those pesky haze creating proteins out of solution. I bet it was magnified by the fact that you had to restart your boil and get everything adjusted again.

telebrewer

Reaction score
Just happened to me two days ago. After I added my wort chiller to sanitize, the boil stops so I crank up the heat. Didn't oversee the boil resume and it pump boiled it out and over.

Won't happen again. Good timing for this post, thanks.