Second Hand Ball Lock Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
In my gathering of parts for my keezer, I have come into several secondhand ball lock QDs. The gas QDs don't look so bad once I disassemble them. However the liquid QDs have some sort of rust or corrosion on the springs and the clear plastic piece that pushes the poppet are brown.

Has anyone else re-used second hand QDs or should I pitch them and get brand new ones? I do have them taken apart and in an OxyClean soak currently, but I'm not sure I can use them with a clear conscience.

This also raises another question for me. Since their internals are plastic, do those of you who've had keezers/kegerators up & running for a while replace them periodically?

Id love to see where they're $4 since cheapest ive found is $4.50 and most places they're $6+ but anyway...
$4 x 12 + Shipping since theyre $8 at LHBS adds up...

Tell me about it I have 12 liquid and 16 gas just for the keezer then a pair of each for the traveler. Cheapest I have found them is $5.50+ tax, if I can replace the seals for .04 apiece it's a no-brainer for me.;)

its not the age or the fact that they are second hand. They are rusty and nasty.

replace them now, or chase problems and replace them later.
Id love to see where they're $4 since cheapest ive found is $4.50 and most places they're $6+ but anyway...
$4 x 12 + Shipping since theyre $8 at LHBS adds up...

so do wasted ingredients.

I would just swap the internals from the gas to the beer disconnects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just swap the internals from the gas to the beer disconnects.

I think I'm going to end up doing this. All these QDs are 1/4" barbed, and I am going to be using 5/16" gas hose. I would prefer the MFL QDs, but will use the barbed where I can.

I needed the mfl fittings as I now use all push-lock fittings which makes any repair/change out a breeze,will never use a barbed fitting ever again.:D

+1, go for the MFL fittings. Yes, you also have to spring another buck for the nut and FFL barb, but totally worth it. Just remember to tighten them down before connecting. Got some Dark Mild in the face last night for forgetting that one.

That's why I use these push locks no wrenches or nuts to tighten

image-2212728021.jpg

Back