Second Fermenter not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just transferred an oat meal stout to a second fermenter and it has not done any thing, no fermentation, no bubbles. Is this bad, do i need to do some, if so what?

if you're transferring to a secondary, fermentation should be complete before transfer. Using a secondary is for clearing and/or dry hopping prior to keg or bottling and not for fermenting. Take a gravity reading each day for a couple days, if it stays the same fermentation is complete. How many days was it in primary before transfer?

How long was it in the primary? If you had it there for two-three weeks then fermentation was probably done. Also is this secondary a carboy or bucket? Buckets are notorious for leaking from the lid so you won't "see" any fermentation even if it is happening.

It was in a bucket for a little over a week, then i transferred it to the second fermenter witch is a carboy.

Did the krausen fall before you moved it over? For future reference, I'd leave it in the primary for 2 to 3 weeks before going to secondary. Even if fermentation slows the yeast clean up some of the off flavors. If you move to the secondary you leave most of the yeast behind so they aren't as efficient at cleaning up.

No problem - it's easy to be scared at first. My advise - read the sticky's in the beginner and bottling forums. That will give you plenty of information to put you at ease and help you learn. Good luck! :mug:

Yup it should really not be called a secondary fermenter because no fermentation takes place. I would call it a clearing tank/vessel but when talking with other people that know almost nothing about home brewing I just call it secondary.

What style of beer is it? Anyhow long ago did you pitch the yeast? Finally ... Have you taken any readings with your hydrometer? If the gravity is stable over three days then fermentation is done.

Back