second fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miranda28

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just wondering when should I be racking my white wine to the carboy for secondary fermentation? The initial SP.GR 1.070, on day 6 now and reading is 1.040. Does that sound right?

Miranda

Is fermentation slowing down now ie longer between bubbles in your airlock I'd wait at least a week before racking from primary to secondary and it also depends on what alcohol percentage your going for id wait until your sg is between 1000-1005 looking at your original sg reading that should give you around 11-12% abv

It is slowing down more and more as the days go by, today its a bubble or two a minute. Would it wreck it if i did move it to the carboy? I def. Dont want it very strong, or i wont drink it lol, id be happy with a 7 or 8%. Just enough to feel wonderful and shiny, but at the same time i dont want to have to do shots with its too crazy to drink by the glass. I do however have to get a few more batches done before the -50 degree winter begins again, i dont think id have a hope in hell fermenting at that temp.

I forgot to mention that this is not from a kit, but a welsh juice experiment

Hi Miranda,

I'd love to get an update from you when your welchs experiment is done.
I might give it a go myself. I am trying my first ever apple wine from store bought apple juice (here in Canada it's SunRype apple juice), so very similar procedure.

Keep us updated!

I forgot to mention that this is not from a kit, but a welsh juice experiment

Back