Second-ever Brew: Messed up recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleBlowers

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums and fairly new to brewing. I just brewed my second brew last night after a great deal of stumbling and disorganization, but hopefully minimal (or no) amount of contamination. This recipe I found called for 1.25lbs Muntons Extra Light, 3.5lbs Northwestern Gold, 1.0lb 2-row pale, and 1.0 CaraPils malts. I told the guy at teh nearest brew store all I needed and thought he had put everything in the bag. Half way through my steeping my specialty and boiling of pumpkin (it's a pumpkin ale) I realized he never put in the 2row or the CaraPils! So I had 2lbs of Muntons and 3.3lbs of Gold. I put all those malts in and figured I'd shoot for the moon since all my 'fresh' ingredients were cooking and I'd have to wait 3 days until I could acutally get the right ingredients.

It's been fermenting about 18hrs now and smells extremely good. I'm just looking for some suggestions about what the difference in malt will mean for my final product and if it'll have an effect on the amount of priming sugar I need (suggested 0.75cup-recipe, or 1.5-storeclerk) for the secondary. Any help would be much obliged. DANKE!

[EDIT: Okay, I just realized what a dummy I am. The CaraPils and the 2-row Pale were the steeping grains that I used. My bad. Buuutt, I would still like to hear what everyone has to say from a HYPOTHETICAL standpoint. Thanks! haha]

Carapils Malt
Balances body and flavor without adding color or sweetness. A lighter crystal type malt, the Dextrines add body, mouth-feel as well as head retention.

The two-row pale is mainly for the enzymes and sugars.

Your starting gravity will be a little low as will your final ABV, but there should be very little impact on flavor. Don't change the priming sugar.

Back