second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjamin_Franklin

Reaction score
So my first beer (simple APA) has been in my secondary fermentator based on the directions I got from the brew shop that I got my supplies from. I've got some spare time this weekend and I'm getting an itchy trigger finger and want to get my second batch going. That being said I'm looking for some advice on what to make for my second batch.

I'm trying to decide between either a wit (think hoegaarden) or a klosch for the up coming summer. For my first batch I did a partial mash and was pretty comfortable with that process. What I'm wondering is can I make a decent wit via partial mash or will I be in over my head for my second brew. I have no real way of temp control for fermentation at the time (though I've got an ambient temp in my apt of around 69) will that cause problems for a klosch?

Thanks for any advice in my new obsession

I say go for the Wit. You don't want it out of control, but it is certainly more tolerant of heat than the Kolsch. As a second brew, the Kolsch is not a very forgiving beer - it needs to be light, clean, but still have great flavor. The Wit strains' esters will help cover some flaws, although you should still obviously strive to brew a very nice beer.

Thanks, I was kinda leaning that direction. I'm brewing on a bit of a budget any advice on fermentation temp control? I live in an apartment with a couple of roommates so I don't have access to a spare tub or anything like that.

Look up swamp cooler for temperature control. You can just use a plastic tub that is big enough for your fermenter and a bottle of ice or two.

Fill with water about 6-8 inches deep and add bottles as needed to control the temperatures. Last summer it took changing the bottles twice a day. This winter it was once a day. The room I have my cooler in is heated - some people have basement space that is a lot cooler.

Back