Second Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

lostspring

Reaction score
Did my second brew today.It went real well. Started my first yeast starter 2 days ago. Pitched at 60 deg then grew at 52 deg. Cooled my wort to 60 deg, pitched my starter. I am going to ferment this at 52 deg. A Midwest kit Excelsior Altbier. Did the fan thing for boil overs and worked like a champ. I didn't leave it run full time just watched and used it when it looked scary.
First brew,a Midwest kit Big Ben Pale Ale, was put into the secondary on the 8th day. I will leave it there for 2 weeks. I know a lot of brewers don't use a secondary but I wanted to do all the steps to get the process down.
Next up is a Seirra Pale Ale clone kit, also from Midwest. Need to get that pipeline going.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the successful brewing!

Don't worry about the secondary thing, I still do it with several of my beers.
If you need a few more primaries the Orange pails at Home Depot work well.
Or look on Ebay for food grade barrels I have found a few on there that were about $10 each

-Jason

OP
L

lostspring

Reaction score
OK it's been 12 days now. The fermenter is in the basement at 52degs. The airlock center piece never moved and the lid was snapped on tight.
Today I took off the lid. There is still a full krausen at least 1" thick, a foamy brown color. I can see where it touched the bottom of the lid. I am now a full believer in the don't trust the airlock group. A most wonderful smell.
I now have a question tho. The SG started at 1.042 and is now at FG 1.015 but what about the krausen? Doesn't that mean it is still fermenting? Temp has remained a steady 52degs with no variation.
Oh the sample from the thief tasted great. Still has some light cloudiness.
I intend to move this to a secondary for further clearing but the krausen plus the SG reading has me confused.