Second Brew floaty issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I just racked my second batch into the secondary and It smells delicious!! However there were tons of floaty things in it (i dont think its an infection) and when I was racking over I let some of the floaty stuff in, it was hard not to let it in trying to get most of the beer out. Is this to bad of a thing???

100_0214.jpg

Those are the floaties before I racked it

100_0221.jpg

That is it in the secondary the stuff at the top is dry hopping and a bit of floaties

It looks to me like the stuff floating is from the crud ring that forms around the side of the fermenter at the top of the beer and was knocked off as you moved the fermenter. If you keep the fermenter level and don't slosh the liquid around when you move it that stuff should cling to the side as you draw the beer out. Most stuff that gets transfered to secondary should fall out within a couple of weeks. I also would suggest using a hop bag for dry hopping.:mug:

Back