Second Brew Down - more to come

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyp95

Reaction score
Hi Andy from the UK - not new to brewing as such; I did a lot of malt extract brewing years ago - like 30years ago - into metal keg style barrels.

I have apple and pear trees, so to use that fruit, I got into hard cider making a few years ago and, with the recent acquisiton of a plastic bucket complete with heating element for £30 from eBay, and a grain bag, I have started making beer from grain - always wanted to do that.

I made an Old Peculier style a few weeks ago and yesterday, a Hefe Weizen which I am trying to open ferment (and the kreuzen is forming well). I don't have the kegs anymore, so its bottles for me.

The OP tastes very much like the real thing, but I think I didn't add enough priming sugar in the bottles as its still a bit flat but very drinkable. I changed my approach for the wheatbeer so I got a closer to target OG and learned from previous mistakes.

Looking forward to hearing all about other's successes and disasters :)

Andy

Good luck with the new beer venture. As with many ventures in life, it's an mater of asymptotically approaching the the ideal. You'll get close, the closer, but never perfect.

Keep trying, and keep this forum updated. We really are interested. See you 'round the forum.

Welcome and happy brewing! Similar experience, extract brewer in early 90's, got away from it and then started all grain brewing 12 years ago brewing like 4-5 beers a year. 12 years later and lots of money later, I am up to 24-25 beers a year, 8 kegs and my basement is full of beer stuff and my wife wants to kill me. :)

Good luck with the new beer venture. As with many ventures in life, it's an mater of asymptotically approaching the the ideal. You'll get close, the closer, but never perfect.

Keep trying, and keep this forum updated. We really are interested. See you 'round the forum.
Thank you and will do.

Good advice - I just would like someone to say to me 'that's not a bad pint' :)

If the OP is just a few weeks young, it may not be fully carbed. A strong beer may take 3-4 weeks at room temp to fully carb and condition.
Thank you - I will leave it alone a bit longer. I can't do much but store in the garage and its not that cold at the moment, but I will take that advice. I do have a PET bottle to test so I will sit on my hands a bit more :)

Welcome and happy brewing! Similar experience, extract brewer in early 90's, got away from it and then started all grain brewing 12 years ago brewing like 4-5 beers a year. 12 years later and lots of money later, I am up to 24-25 beers a year, 8 kegs and my basement is full of beer stuff and my wife wants to kill me. :)
Thank you for that :) My wife is a chemist so I cannot run the risk of her wanting to kill me :)

I will struggle to keep more than a coupl of brews at a time, but I already have an winter all on the ideas list.

Back