Second Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJStank

Reaction score
Well I have my second brew under my belt. I used an American IPA kit from my LHBS. My target OG was spot on around 1.066. I definitely felt more comfortable the second time around but I still had some issues toward the end of the brew.

The boil was fine, my stove sucks (electric) and it takes forever but I think it might be a blessing in disguise. I boiled 3.5 gallons today and that seemed like about as much as my stove could handle and I didn't have any boil over problems. I was a bit worried because of using more water than I did the first time around plus using more extract. Anyways, it was fine.

My biggest issue I'm having come when I'm transferring the wort to the fermenter. I have a funnel with a strainer but it gets clogged easily so this time I used my biggest kitchen strainer. Same problem, and it takes forever to transfer. Any suggestions? I tried using a nylon bag to boil hops in but it was kind of a pain. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm looking forward to this one so I hope it turns out ok.

My first batch had another 2 weeks in the bottle before it's ready, but I tried one today anyways so I can experience how the beer changes the longer it carbonates. Today it was definitely flat, and a bit cidery. I'm excited to taste a more finished product in a few weeks.

Buy a racking cane with tubing. Whirlpool your wort and let it sit 15-30 minutes. Then rack from the edges and top of the wort. You'll have a clear carboy/bucket without issues. Don't forget to aerate!

Here's two thoughts for you. Use a paint strainer bag to filter out your hops, etc. A 5 gallon will fit your fermenter bucket nicely and has an elastic top to keep it up. You could do what I do and just dump the whole mess in the fermenter and let it settle into the yeast cake. This seems to work just as well and I and others have not noticed any change in the flavor leaving all this stuff in the fermenter.

Are you using a glass carboy or plastic bucket for your primary? I personally haven't noticed any difference if I leave some hops in the wort. After cooling, I will gently take a spoon and just get the majority of hops that I can get (I use whole leaf whenever possible!) Either that or get yourself a simple hop bag and you can do it that way and not have to worry about floating hops! :)

Back