Second blow off!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreamer0713

Reaction score
So i have done 3 5 gallon amber extract brews from more beer. Twice i did just the yeast. Once i didnt a yeast starter. I have had 2 ferment right up amd out of the air lock.

2 ambers 1 ipa.
65degrees. Blew out airlock after 2 days of adding yeast.

Any ideas?

One blow off with statter and smack pack. Second is just white labs ale yeast no starter

Nothing wrong with blowing off. Except you should use a blowoff tube into a bucket of sanitizer, don't let it blow out through the air lock.

If this happens, use a blow off tube instead of an airlock. Put a tube in the rubber stopper instead of the airlock and submerge the other end of the tube in a glass/bottle/bucket of starsan. If any karausen gets through the tube, it will just bubble into the starsan. At the same time, the starsan will prevent air from going through the tube back into your fermenter. Search "blow off tube" or "hose" and you should find lots about them. JUST MAKE SURE YOUR GLASS/BOTTLE/BUCKET IS EVEN WITH OR LOWER THAN YOUR FERMENTER SO IT DOESN'T SIPHON THE STARSAN INTO THE FERMENTER!

FERMCAP

I use it religously, and rarely have a problem. I sill use a blowoff every batch, but it is rare the tube gets messy.

+1 to RM-MN - I temperature control my fermentations and haven't had anything reach the airlock in a long time. Keep them cool and calm, and you'll get better beer.

Back