Second Beer Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayBrew

Reaction score
Thanks to Yooper, Revvy, and BeirMuncher for all their knowledge sharing!!

Brown Ale, huge hit with everyone of my family and friends who've tried it, I'm out already, and have another batch in secondary. Sorry for the fuzz, wiped the glass sweat off and the camera picked all the fuzzy's :rockin:

5418-brown-ale.jpg

Thanks to Yooper, Revvy, and BeirMuncher for all their knowledge sharing!!

Brown Ale, huge hit with everyone of my family and friends who've tried it, I'm out already, and have another batch in secondary. Sorry for the fuzz, wiped the glass sweat off and the camera picked all the fuzzy's :rockin:

5418-brown-ale.jpg

What do you mean you're out and you have another batch in secondary ? You should never run out of homebrew.

What I'm saying is you need to brew more.

What do you mean you're out and you have another batch in secondary ? You should never run out of homebrew.

What I'm saying is you need to brew more.

I hear you... started slow so I could make sure I was doing it right... last thing I need is 6 cases of gross water bottled up.. :) I'm happy to report to you I do have 2 cases of Hefe condition ready tomorrow, 5 Gallons of Brown (Secondary), 5 Gallons of Amber (Primary), and Making a Cream Ale on Thursday night. Does that make you a little happier??? :mug:

I have a question, Not to bag on your brew. But are browns normally that dark? To me looks more like a porter. Could just be bad lighting. Anyways great job on the brew and it looks mighty tasty.

American and Southern English can go up to 35 SRM by BJCP standards. My brown was just as dark as his. Unless your entering into a competition, personally I think color is the least important aspect of a finished brew.

I have a question, Not to bag on your brew. But are browns normally that dark? To me looks more like a porter. Could just be bad lighting. Anyways great job on the brew and it looks mighty tasty.

You know I had the same comment when I first saw it, the style guidelines on the American Brown Ale state and SRM 25 as the high mark, and Beersmith 2.0 came in at SRM 24.0. Held up to a light it's giving that nice red to copper color its supposed to.

P.S. Don't worry about knocking my brew, I'm learning along with the rest, so if you have thoughts, please do tell.. :)

That sounds exactly like the brown I just brewed. 5 Gallons was gone in 3 days.

Whats the recipe?

#10 2-Row (US)
#1.25 Dark Crystal II (UK)
#.50 Victory Malt
#.25 Chocolate Malt (US)
#.06 Black Patent (UK)

1.0oz Willamette (60)
1.0oz Sonnet (5)

Windsor Yeast Package (DRY/Rehydrated)

Mashed 152 degrees, Boil 90 min.

Primary for 5 days, at 67 degrees
Secondary for 10 days, at 67 degrees

Bottle Conditioned (I tried the Coopers Carb tabs with this one, I think I like the corn sugar addition a lot better)

Back