Second Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdspace

Reaction score
This isn't really a question, but just wanted to report. I boiled up my second batch ever on sunday evening, and it is now bubbling away merrily. I put the 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy with a 3 piece airlock, and when I got home from work tonight, it was about 4 inches away from the top. Within an hour (having turned up the heat at home, I'd guess) it was near to overflowing. I fitted a tube into the airlock, and set up a blowoff tube. Caught that one within 10 minutes, because when I next checked, the bubbles were flowing through the tube. Replaced the water with sanitizer JIC, and it's still merrily bubbling away.

Here's hoping the cats don't bubbling water tub is a toy.

This is fun, especially in the carboy, being able to see what's going on. Also, this brew is much more active than my first one. My first batch I never saw bubbling, but did find the gravity dropped after a week, so left it for another week, and I guessed it was done. It's in the bottles now.

Over time I'll be experimenting with different recipes and yeast strains. Heard somewhere about brewing with wild yeast, seems interesting...

A local recipe called "Hoppy Hoppy Pale Ale"
Extract
4 lbs 60 min
3 lbs 10 min

Grains
1 lb Crystal 40L 30 min

Hops
0.5 oz Chinook 60 min
1 ox Cascade 10 min
2 oz Cascade 0 min

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 American Ale

Fining
Whirlfloc tab

Recipe OG 1.053, Actual OG 1.044

Nice work... Glad to hear it went well.... Now the wait until you get to taste it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Huh? Explain?

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that you boiled some grains for 30 minutes?

Pretty sure it meant he steeped the crystal for 30 minutes, though it was vague. I hope it meant they were steeped for 30 minutes and not boiled, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, the grains were steeped at about 150 F

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back