Second Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlusk05

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my second batch which is a Belgian wit, and I can honestly say that it sure is a good feeling to wake up the next morning and see the airlock bubbling. My first batch (autumn amber ale)has been bottled for a week now and last night out of curiosity I cracked one open. I was so excited when I heard the pressure release. The bottle gushed over a little but over all it tasted great! Would the reason the bottle gushed over be because it hasn't been conditioned for the appropriate amount of time yet?

Would the reason the bottle gushed over be because it hasn't been conditioned for the appropriate amount of time yet?

More than likely. Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Like he shows several times, even @ 1 week, all the hissing, all the foaming can and does happen, but until it's dissolved back into the beer, your don't really have carbonation, with tiny bubbles coming out of solution happening actually inside the glass, not JUST what's happening on the surface.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

But until then the beer can even appear to be overcarbed, when really nothing is wrong.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back