Quantcast

Second Batch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

awillis

Reaction score
I just racked my hefeweizen into the secondary. Initial fermentation was rockin and I could see the kreusen form, for the first time. I also had to clean the primary carboy for the first time. Its really easy with the brush, I was worried about it being tedious. Cant wait to taste!

Porter fan

Reaction score
You can taste it when you rack to the secodary :D just be a bit on the green side with some yeast bite and will be flat ofcorse.But sould still give you an idea of the final product.Have fun! :cool:

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
nah, it's easy with a regular carboy brush. plus it's cool to see it ferment and it's stuff.

tasting it at bottling time will give you a good idea too. should taste like flat beer!

brewhead

Reaction score
plus it's cool to see it ferment and it's stuff.

i still am amazed at all the energy expended during fermentation. the young beer churning itself - all manner of weird manifistations in the krausen - a plethora of alien like flocculant - a life of it's own...

it is a neat process to watch

andre the giant

Reaction score
IMO, its the second best reason to use a glass carboy over a plastic bucket. The first reason is sanitation, but being able to watch the yeast churn, bubble and settle out is a show unto itself.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
the first time i made a starter, i was amazed at the ativity. i guess being in such a small vessel it's more violent of a ferment. cool stuff man, cool stuff......
the first time i used a 6.5 g carboy for primary was way cool too. i'll never go back (unless i break both my 6.5 carboys!!!! knock on wood!!!)

this may be on another thread, but how many aerate the wort, by other than "sloshing" the cooled wort around?

Porter fan

Reaction score
I thought long and hard bout aerating the wort and will try it soon..Hell I'm just getting used to making a starter.. :D

brewhead

Reaction score
this may be on another thread, but how many aerate the wort, by other than "sloshing" the cooled wort around?
i do everything pre pitch to aerate. sloshing yes - i also whisk while the wort is in the kettle and i use a funnel that has a wide mouth which makes a lot of turbulance - also when i rack from the kettle to the carboy i use the auto siphon...when it's done it's thing and all the wort is in the carboy - i vigorously pump the auto siphon which also churns the wort....anything and everything...'cept i don't do the air stone. i gotta figure that's one more thing i gotta wash and sanatize afterwords. plus i have a hesitation about nasties harboring in the stone itself

Sir Sudster

Reaction score
I did the air stone thing for quite sometme and it just got to be a big pain in the cabouse. I never had a problem but I didn't really see much change of not doing it. I always made a starter and that's the biggest boost you can give. So, I just started back doing the same things Brewhead does and things work out fine without the added extra work. After a long brew session it's really hard to justify the extra work. By the end of a session I'm pooped.

SwAMi75

Banned
Reaction score
I just pour somewhat aggressively, then slosh for a couple minutes, then pitch a starter. After sweating my butt off in the garage all day, anticipating all the cleanup, it's not something I feel the need to spend much time on, nor dirty up any more equipment.

LOL....sorry we crapped up your thread, awillis. Damn you, Deroux!!! :D

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
that's funny how ya'll think the aeration stone is such a pain. i just wash/sanitize it with my siphon tubing and let it dry while i brew. may take an extra 2 minutes, at the most. i've never had contamination problems, and the smaller air bubbles at a slower introduction to the cooled wort is better for the yeast. i usually let mine run for 1.5-2 minutes (depends on the SG of the batch).
again, just one of the little things to help the beer, but not necissary!

sorry i took a wrong turn here awillis! (and SAM!) :~)

Laurel

Reaction score
I just used a liquid yeast for the first time (wyeast)yesterday and I'm blown away by how violently it's churning. I just pour the wort through a funnel, and my top off water as well. Then I just cover the top of the carboy with a double layer of saran wrap, the my hand and shake the bejesus out of it, well, to the best of my ability. My upper body strength isn't exactly on-par with a body builder. I've always had just fine fermentation.

Out of curiosity, what is the end result of NOT aerating your wort at the beginning?