Second Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
So I am starting my second batch today, which ise going much better, as I have a good grasp on what I am doing. My last brew I started last week, on Wednesday. I checked the gravity yesterday, and it was about 1.020, and the directions say it should end around 1.014 to 1.018. I guess I should wait a few more days before I rack to secondary?

Also, I happen to have a packet of Safale-05, and I am brewing from a Brewer's Best kit, which includes the "Nottingham Brewing Yeast". Will I get better results if I use the Safale, or should I stick with the kit yeast?

Edit: My first brew should end at 12-14, not 14-18. My mistake. Regardless, I am at 20 as of yesterday.

I would wait a few days to rack to secondary. But it's not the end of the world if you end up getting a bit of fermentation in your secondary so whatever you choose isn't a big deal.

Safale 05 and Nottingham are pretty similar. I think most people like the safale 05 a bit better but again not a big deal.

If your gravity readings stay the same for 2-3 days, it's done fermenting and you can rack to the secondary. Or just leave the beer there for 3-4 weeks and skip the secondary.
But I know your anxious to get your second beer brewing.

Well I have another bucket to use, just anxious to move to secondary. If you think it's best to wait, I will wait.

Well just checked the hydro again today, and it hasn't changed in the last 15 hours or so. Wait longer?

Edit: Puts me at about 4.15 abv?

Back