Second batch underway! Summer Honey Wheat this time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlieNH

Reaction score
I have the specialty grains steeping and I am getting my second batch underway!

This time, I am going to pay extra special attention to temperature at yeast pitching time, I have plenty of ice made to cool this sucker down.

Wish me luck!

Erik

It went great so far. I am just starting to notice little bubbles forming on top of the wort and we are 12 hours into primary fermentation. The instructions on the White Labs yeast said to keep the temp at 70deg f, so that's where it is.

With my first batch, I pitched at 80deg and that caused quite a violent fermentation and I didn't get my final gravity quite as far down as I expected.

This time I stored up plenty of ice for my ice bath (love having a big ice maker) and made sure we were down to 70deg before pitching the yeast.

I also shook the carboy for a couple of minutes to aerate the wort this time.

The instructions stated that the target OG was 1.048-1.050. Mine was at 1.054. I guess I will have more alcohol at the end, aww shucks. So, what are the implications of having a higher gravity than expected? Does this mean it will not be exactly like the target style? Is this more important if you are going to enter it in a competition or if you are looking to produce a a true style?

My kit came with Irish Moss this time. The True Brew kit I used the first time did not. It seemed to make a real difference this time, as I noticed a lot of hop material on the bottom of the brew pot after siphoning into the primary.

The last thing that I changed in my second batch was the use of blow off hose instead of an airlock in the primary. With the violent fermentation that I had in batch one, I didn't like having to pull the airlock off to clean the caked-up yeast out of it. Granted, I know the violent fermentation was caused by pitching when the wort was too hot, but I wanted to give the blow-off hose a shot.

That's the update, now the yeast gods can do their work and created beer for me!

If the target OG was 1.048-1.050 and you got 1.054, you either:

A: did not stir/shake enough before taking a gravity sample or,
B: did not have a full 5 gallons of wort.

But, I would think that .004 is a minor difference, nothing I would really be concerned about. My American Wheat kit from NB was exactly 1.040 as the kit stated. Beginners luck! :) If your wort was mixed well, which it sure sounds like it was, then yes you will just have a slightly higher ABV :) Nothing wrong with that!

Back