Second batch question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Dogfish Head 60 min. extract clone.

My o.g. was 1.072, it's been in the primary for 17 days, the last two days its been 1.012.
So I decided to throw in the hops for the dry hop per the recipe.

After I tossed in the hops and put the lid on I tasted my sample and it had a fairly strong alcohol taste to it. I wonder if I should have tasted first before throwing in my hops and let the wort sit for another week or ten days before dryhopping?

Is it possible for that taste to mellow with time?

Ferm. temp was a steady 70 on the strip thermometer on the bucket.

I used the w yeast 1056 smack pack.

yes, it will mellow. give it another couple weeks, and forget those 2 day/5 day numbers they give on the kits. they give short times to make you drink them, then run out and buy another kit and brew it in a hurry. most real beers need to ferment 4 weeks to be ok. then age 2 or more weeks in the bottle or keg. hefeweizens and milds need a couple weeks instead of 4 weeks, but that's about all. you can bottle it at this stage, but give another 2-3 weeks before tasting

In general, the bigger the beer the more time it needs to come into its own. Don't be surprised if this beer takes 6+ weeks after being bottled to taste just right. (I'm not saying it won't taste good until then, but that it will steadily improve over time...up to a point)

And like lumpher said above - give your beer a full 3-4 weeks in the fermenter, no matter what the kit instructions say.

Thanks for the replies, I actually followed a recipe that I found here on this website that said 2 weeks in the primary and a week of dry hopping. So just curious, hopefully another week before bottling and another three weeks or so in the bottle should help this taste subside.

Back