Second Batch Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mingus

Reaction score
Newbie here anxious to get second batch going...

I have an Irish Red (my first batch ever) that should be ready to bottle in a few days or so and I just bought a Belgian Strong Ale Ingredient kit from The Beverage People that I wanna get going asap.

Questions:

I have the Irish Red in 5 gal clear plastic secondary that came with kit. I have a 5+ gallon fermentation bucket and a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. The Belgian batch I am anxious to start is a five gallon ingredient kit - will this be ok to cook and ferment in the 6.5 gallon glass carboy? It recommends that I fill wort to the neck of the 5 gal - so would it be ok to just use all wort in 6.5 gal and have alot more air in there? Will this cause any problems with fermentation? (hope question is clear)

Also, with that being said - should I skip secondary transfer altogether and just go about 3-4 weeks in glass for this Belgian batch?

Cheers,
N8

That 6.5 gallon carboy will be fine as a primary. Just be careful with it, though, as it will be very heavy with all that wort in there.

Skipping the secondary is an option. There is quite a bit of debate and differing opinions about it, but you do what you feel.

TL

Latest posts

Back