second batch on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin0804

Reaction score
Hey guys, just finished putting my first batch in bottles and the second in the primary fermentor. The first kit I had received a number of years ago had yeast that was expired by a few months, and since i recieved it for free, i figured why not, lets try it out. Now my concern stems from this second I just mixed up with good yeast(it is bubbling away like crazy in the primary). I didnt see any of this with the first batch, yet the specific gravity readings progressed along nicely with the kits instructions. Now my question is, is this first batch going to be any good?

Sounds like it fermented out ok, I guess you didn't taste it? I always try all my gravity readings. It's possible you just missed the primary activity if it fermented quickly.

I've always seen activity with mine, but some just bubble a little and others come out the blow off or airlock, it depends.

Welcome to HBT.

Sometimes you don't get bubbles in the airlock because the lid isn't sealed well enough. If the SG is dropping as it should, I'd say you're OK. Did you see any kraeusen or a kraeusen ring when you looked in?

I don't take progress gravity readings - I just check on kraeusen by darkening the room and setting a flashlight on the lid shining down - the kraeusen shows up thru the side of the bucket. I don't take a gravity reading until 3 days before I plan to bottle (to check for stable gravity on bottling day).

If your first batch, a general type ale, finished with an FG of 1.010 to 1.012, your probably good. If it was a saison and finished about 1.003 to 1.006, your probably good.

Some details on the two brews would help to answer your question.

Yeast that is expired by a couple of months will just have less viable cells. It should be fine. When you get brewing often and start to get fussy you'll go after the best yeasts like Seinfeld on a marbled rye.

thanks for the input guys. I did have to scrub a kraussen ring when i transfered it to the secondary, and the beer tasted normal throughout the process(except for flat), so i'll stay positive for now and hope it turns out.

Back