Second Batch of Grahams English - comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
First batch of Graham's English was nothing shy of awesome. Recipe followed with addition of 32oz of white sugar. Four months aging, notty yeast. It did not last long when we tapped it.

I have four additional batches of the cider in the assembly line…just tapped the second batch, which I started 4/4/2013. So over four months….and it has a bit of rubber taste to it. It is definitely not as clear as the first batch.

Two things that changed between the batches…I pitched on the original notty yeast cake (fermentation took off within an hour) and instead of 32oz sugar, I added two cans of concentrate and the 16oz sugar. OG was about the same compared to the first - around 1.057.

Anyways…I assume it just needs more time. Maybe the concentrate sugars are more complex and therefore need some more time? It tastes o.k., but not as good as the first. I just pulled it from the keezer to let is age another couple weeks at room temperature.

If my logic is flawed, please advise. Otherwise I will report back with what I get from it in September.

Latest posts

Back