second batch gravity off, please explain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose5180

Reaction score
I started my second beer today, a porter extract kit. The paper says original gravity should be 1.048-1.052. I came up with 1.06. Thoughts? What does this mean? Add water? Thanks!

i took another reading and it was 1.050. This is after pitching yeast an hour ago. Would yeast have an effect on gravity? Thanks noob here

If you took gravity reading (hydrometer) when the temp was too high it would throw off the number. Also it's possible that you didn't mix the wort enough. Lot of things could contribute, but likely temperature because the cooled wort (to be in pitchable temo range) changed your reading

If you took gravity reading (hydrometer) when the temp was too high it would throw off the number. Also it's possible that you didn't mix the wort enough. Lot of things could contribute, but likely temperature because the cooled wort (to be in pitchable temo range) changed your reading

Not this.
1.060 wort at 32 degrees is the same as 1.059 wort at 68. Did you top off? If that's the case then you didn't mix thoroughly and the wort you sampled was the concentrated portion. Otherwise you are Really looking at a few options
1) User error
2) contaminants in the testing apparatus
3) horribly calibrated hydrometer

I would toss your hydrometer in distilled water to make sure it reads 1.000.

After that, my best guess is #2. I don't believe the yeast could drop the gravity that quickly. So having readings that different an hour apart suggests something in the tube altered the density enough for it to read higher than expected. Or it could have been bubbles holding up the hydrometer.

I did top off and likely did not mix well, definetely a beginner mistake. The airlock was poppin after about two hours. Checked it tonight and its happy

Not this.
1.060 wort at 32 degrees is the same as 1.059 wort at 68. Did you top off? If that's the case then you didn't mix thoroughly and the wort you sampled was the concentrated portion. Otherwise you are Really looking at a few options
1) User error
2) contaminants in the testing apparatus
3) horribly calibrated hydrometer

I would toss your hydrometer in distilled water to make sure it reads 1.000.

After that, my best guess is #2. I don't believe the yeast could drop the gravity that quickly. So having readings that different an hour apart suggests something in the tube altered the density enough for it to read higher than expected. Or it could have been bubbles holding up the hydrometer.

Edit: removing my dumb post. I'm getting my wires crossed. His gravity was higher, not lower. That makes hot wort likely not the issue ;) disregard me! Happy brewing

Back